Local News, National News

Railways paying 85% of migrants’ train fare, rest 15% borne by states, says govt

A controversy erupted on Monday after Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi and several opposition parties demanded that migrant workers should not be charged for the train tickets. The Congress chief offered to pay for these workers while questioning Indian Railways that it can give a fund of Rs 151 crore to PM-CARES fund but not allowing poor people free travel facility.

The BJP, however, said the railways has been providing subsidised tickets bearing 85 percent of the travel costs, while the rest of 15 per cent cost will be borne by states

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday said that Indian Railways will pay 85 per cent train fares of migrant workers. The remaining 15 per cent, state governments will have to pay.

The move has come after the centre faced a backlash from Congress party, and other opposition leaders for charging migrant labourers during the lockdown.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.